Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Lion King - Broadway Soundtrack

The Lion King - Broadway Soundtrack

By: The Lion King Cast, Elton John
Reviewed by: Kait, 15
Rating: It was amazing!


To begin with, I need to come clean. I am a fifteen year old girl who does actually have a life and gets some attention from the opposite sex. However, I am also 100% addicted to Disney films, particularly those from the 1990's. Disney had a formula with "Pocahontas", "Hunchback of Notre Dame", "Mulan", etc that just seemed to work for them, creating the cliche "Disney Magic". But none of these Oscar-winning masterpieces was more inspirational and incredible than "The Lion King". The film was a hit in every aspect: beautiful animation, well-done lyrics, and most of all an incredible musical soundtrack created by the one and only Elton John.

My parents still glare at me because apparently, after watching years of VHS's and Disney-product advertisements, I would beg them nightly to take me to the New Amsterdam Theater in New York to see "The Lion King" on Broadway. I have no cognizant memory of this, but it does sound a wee bit like something I would do. Needless to say, they didn't take me.

But as I was forcing my mother to watch two incredible songs from "The Lion King II: Simba's Pride" ("My Lullaby", "He Lives in You", and "One of Us", for future reference. Open another internet browser and Google it now. *Waves hand like Jedi*) I saw one of those ads for the musical.

And what did I just so conveniently happen to find at the library yesterday afternoon? THE SOUNDTRACK!!!

Which I had never heard before.

In the space of one hour after putting the CD in my stereo, I owned all of the music and had the entire CD on my iPod.

Yes, it is THAT good.

The Broadway recording takes some of our favorite "Lion King" songs ("Circle of Life", "I Just Can't Wait To Be King", and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" to name a few) and puts its own Broadway spin on them. But they also use authentic African instruments and styles to authenticate the music, complete with Swahili chants.

The new songs are a delight, including "The Madness of King Scar" (Yes, I am amused by listening to Scar go schizophrenic, though it was mildly disturbing to hear him hit on Nala...), "The Morning Report" (Remember the scene from the original film where Zazu delivers the Morning Report, saying things like 'cheetahs never prosper', 'giraffes are above it all', and 'I told the elephants to forget, but they can't!'? Well those have been made into a cheerful little ditty that rocks my Broadway socks), and "They Live in You" (the inspriation for the aforementioned "He Lives In You" from the sequel) and don't take anything from the story.

As well, such songs as "The Grasslands Chant" and "The Lioness Hunt" combine beautiful African rhythms with Swahili chants to give a distinct feel to the musical.

Usually, I am a Disney purist, but hearing each of these songs performed by Tony-winning actors gave a new spin on my all-time favorite movie. I did not miss anything. (Admittedly, I wanted to kill the little girl who plays Little Nala - but she only has about 3 lines of singing in "I Just Can't Wait to Be King", fortunately. You learn to tune her out.)

No, my parents still haven't taken me to see the Broadway "Lion King". Anyone have free tickets lying on their hands? ;) (that was a joke, they'd kill me if I took someone's stuff.)

Watch it. See it. Love it.

Peace kids (:


Recommended to: Anyone who loves good music (:

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Ooh, is that the one with Jason Raize as Simba?
I didn't know the library had it.

Kait said...

Request it (: