Monday, October 20, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars


Reviewed By: Trina N.
By: John Green
Rating: Didn't like it

This is a book about a girl named Hazel who had a thyroid cancer in her lungs. She meets Augustus Waters in a cancer support group and falls in love with him. The two agree to read each others favorite novels. Augustus gives Hazel The Price of Dawn, and Hazel recommends An Imperial Affliction, a novel, written by Peter Van Houten, about a cancer-stricken girl named Anna that parallels Hazel's own experience. After Augustus finishes reading her book, he is frustrated upon learning that the novel ends abruptly without a conclusion. Hazel explains the novel's mysterious author had retreated following the novel's publication and has not been heard from since. The two then is able to go to Asterdam to meet Houten. During the whole story, Hazel and Augustus bond and share common interests. I think this story is a somewhat typical love story. I like the idea of a story being told by a cancer patient. However, this story was a bit too "mainstream" for me. I didn't really understand why so many teens liked it so much. This is my opinion, but I just don't like the "love" between Hazel and Augutus to me. It just didn't feel "real" or relatable. I'm usually a manga reader and this was a change of pace for me. I guess I'm no used to stuff like this.


I would recommend this to: Teens 14 and up. Romance lovers and people interested in a cancer story



No comments: