Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Twilight

Twilight


By: Stephenie Meyer
Reviewed by: Jenn, 14
Rating: It was alright...


This book is the start of a series that has become immensely popular these days. But what I don't understand is why.

Now I'm not saying that the book is bad. I enjoyed it a little. However the amount of praise and legions of fans it's getting is going a little overboard. Though a 'little' overboard is a huge understatement.

When you think about it, the plot of Twilight is basically the same as any other vampire romance story. Male vampire and female human fall in love, human wants to become a vampire so they can be together forever, etc. The fact that the setting is 'modern' isn't anything new either. Look at the TV Series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." But at least that had more originality than this.

I will give Meyer some credit for originality, however, in the case of the sparkling. One thing I always look forward to when reading or watching something with vampires in it, is what they choose to do with the old myth of vampires burning in the sun. Some leave it with that, some have them nocturnal, some just don't like the sun, and the list goes on. This is the first time I've seen someone come up with the idea of vampires sparkling in the sunlight, though. While some may not have thought this idea very good, I am one who really loves sparkly things, so it was a plus for me.

Unfortunately I have to drop back into criticisms. For one, there's the ever-so constant describing of Edward's "beauty". He is very handsome. He has topaz eyes. He's graceful. He has a beautiful smile. That, and quite a few other things mentioned, are all very nice and all - BUT WE GET IT ALREADY. There is no need to repeat yourself five million times, even if the book is told from Bella's perspective.

Second - how emo can Bella's character be? It seems like a lot of the time we hear about how oh-so miserable her life is. And then right into the over flattery of Edward making her life just ~wonderful~.

Those being my main irks in the book, I see it fit to stop there. I won't say this book is necessarily bad, though. It more depends on how picky you are. If you enjoy romance stories even if the plot is nothing new, then it's probably a book you will like. For those who like more action or prefer books with a more unique story, then it's not for you.


Recommended to: romance/vampire fans

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prepare for attack from Twilight fangirls! I agree with you, the idea that Edward is handsome is hammered into our heads...