Monday, December 8, 2008

Manga: The Complete Guide

Manga: The Complete Guide


By: Jason Thompson
Reviewed by: gothiclolitamaiden, 15
Rating: Really liked it


I never thought I needed a guide to manga, but I picked this book up anyway. I checked it out partly because I wanted to see if the author knew nothing about manga or anime and totally screwed it up, partly because I was being optimistic. I'm happy to say that the author did his homework to write this book. The guide is written for beginners in the world of manga. It contains information on all of the different genres of manga. There are summaries and reviews of some manga, as well as as age ratings. Reading the reviews was entertaining for me. I found myself agreeing or disagreeing with the author on different series. It has a guide for katakana, hiragana, and some common kanji. And for fans of yaoi, there was an entire section with summaries, reviews and age ratings for yaoi. For some people the best part of the guide will be the sample manga panels included every few pages or so.


Recommended to: Anybody who isn't very well acquainted with manga, anyone who likes to read reviews for the heck of it.

No comments: