Monday, September 20, 2010

Pocahontas

Pocahontas


Directed by: Mike Gabriel and Eric Goldberg
Reviewed by: Kait, 16
Rating: It was amazing!


So I have to give you all fair warning. Over the year(s) I have mostly reviewed Twilight (using large numbers of pejoratives), great book series(s), and good music. But I have a secret. A deep, dark, horrifyingly secret secret.




I love Disney movies.




Enough to request "Pocahontas" (the 2005 re-release in which they added the duet between Pocahontas and John Smith "If I Never Knew You" seamlessly into the film) from the library and anxiously await its arival for three months before it finally came for me.

Goodness I love this movie. The animation is simply stunning - the beautiful pastel pinks and blues of the Native American world contrasted with the sharp, harsh colors of the English explorers - and makes you smile. The music (done by Alan Menken, my all-time favorite composer) is fabulous and makes you want to sing along. The plot (while kind of majorly historically inaccurate) made me cry. REAL TEARS. Yeah. That's intense kids.

It might have helped that I was reading the AP US History section on the discovery of the Americas while watching it....(Yes, Pocahontas is mentioned in the book. I squealed with joy. It was shrill.) But that is completely irrelevant!

I grew up with these movies, and I'm sure that a good number of you did too, so watch it. It will make you think about toddling around with juice boxes while your parents groaned going "This is the seventeenth time she has watched this movie this month alone. When will she get tired of it???"

Peace kids :)

WATCH IT!


Recommended to: Everyone :D

3 comments:

gothiclolitamaiden said...

Feel no shame. This was one of my favorites as a kid, I still sing the songs sometimes.

keykoh said...

Pocahontas is a great film. I remember in kindergarten when our teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up, I told her I wanted to be Pocahontas. I loved that movie when I was a kid! I still do, but I'm sure part of that love can be attributed to nostalgia now.

Also, great review. Your writing feels really genuine. :)

Kait said...

Thanks Keykoh! We bring the movie up in AP US history all of the time haha XD