Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Mockingjay

Mockingjay


By: Suzanne Collins
Reviewed by: Paige G., 16
Rating: It was alright...


We all remember the fabulous hype of finding a new book, but not just a new book. A new treasure of a book, the ones you can't put down, and get you so pumped you can't even think straight. For me and, based off it's immense popularity, others as well, The Hunger Games was one of those treasures. The storyline was exciting, refreshing, and original. A strong heroine who succeeds solely (well, mostly) on her own inner-strength. It was a beautiful book.

Then there was the second of the trilogy: Catching Fire. It was a little disappointing in comparison to the magnificence of its predecessor. Not that the storyline wasn't as original and as fantastic as the first (though there were some fuzzy parts), but it was the introduction of a love triangle that threw me off. I understand wanting to borrow an element that made the Twilight (gag) series so popular, but this is not a Twilight book. This is the Hunger Games, and the Hunger Games I had familiarized myself with didn't need a patronizing love triangle to keep it interesting. It was interesting enough with its strong characters and intriguing, futuristic plotline. The love triangle demoralized it, undercut its greatness, and I was absolutely disappointed to find the second book a constant "Peeta! No Gale! No...Peeta! No, Gale!" scenario. The Katniss I thought I knew cared more about her family and getting back at the Capital than love interests, neither of whom I cared for.

And then...then there was Mockingjay, the final book of the trilogy. If you have not read it, please do not continue reading this review, for there will be spoilers, and I refuse to be responsible for ruining this book for you. That it must do on its own.

First off, I do want to make a quick note: the book is not as terrible as I might express here in a moment. There are very good elements to the book, and it still kept a lot of its originality. There were many twists and "wtf?!" moments; I was on edge the whole time and read it in less than a day, which doesn't happen unless I enjoy, to some degree, what I am reading. That disclaimer made, I shall move on to my equally honest review.

My first issue with this book, and no doubt my largest, is Katniss. The Katniss from The Hunger Games, the Katniss I loved, respected, and admired, is not the same Katniss in Mockingjay. Well of course, you might think, she isn't the same. She has gone through some horrible ordeals, and she has every right to crumble. And I agree; however, I do not like to read about a main character that crumbles constantly. I want to read about the brave, courageous self-sacrificing one who did things she had to do simply because they had to be done, no matter how hard, and she did them without complaint. I want the Katniss back who stood up on that stage, terrified, stunned, but did it without tears or breakdowns because it was what had to be done. I want the Katniss back that went into that arena with her head held high, horrified and petrified, but without fear or regret because it was what had to be done. That's the Katniss I loved.
But in Mockingjay I find myself reading of a different character altogether. The Katniss of Mockingjay is selfish, thoughtless, flighty, oblivious, self-absorbed, and uncooperative. The book begins with a very accurate statement that she hates most everthing. And it is true. She is bitter and harsh, indulging in self-pity every chance she gets. She is unwilling to cooperate out of self-interest, too self-pitying to do what must be done to take down the Capitol. I carefully followed her train of thought throughout the book, and it was always the same. She was concerned first for herself and how something might affect her. A perfect example is when she lets the readers know Peeta's family has died. Instead of expressing sorrow for Peeta, she first laments the fact that now he will have no one but her, inferring that it will be just another burden she must carry. She makes assumptions that the normal Katniss would have never made, such as when the bombs are ready to go off, her first instinct would have been to protect her family, make sure they get to safety, rather than just assume that they will. Likewise, she begins to let the undying love of her two vying lovers go to her head, and she expects their affection, never returning it. The Katniss I knew didn't take advantage of people like that. Another aspect of the whole love-triange thing that bothers me.

So, for me, that was the real killer of the book: Katniss' character. I didn't like her new nature, so it was hard to root for her or relate with her.

There were other things as well that disappointed me about the book. The first being some of the sloppy ways things were done. Some things were too convenient and not very well thought out, it seemed, and some of her imagry was not up to par. For example, I could not at all picture the pods she kept refering to in the streets of the Capitol, nor the terrible seam in the street that opened to what I assumed to be hell, or the entire scene that eventually led to Prim's death. For a climax, it wasn't incredibly vivid.

Then the infernal love-triangle, which wasn't as center a focus as in the second book, but enough to be irritating. With the way Katniss treats the two of them, it is hard to believe they have any undying love for her. I liked Peeta (and I have never really liked him, nor have I really liked Gale) most when he was finally seeing her for what she was: a user. Then suddenly he switched, even though she basically abandoned him in his time of need (to go off and sulk), and the next thing I know Gale and Peeta are up in the middle of the night joking about who would get her. I had been under the impression that Peeta was just supressing the instinct not to kill her. It was very messy and demeaning for me.

Finally, my next big problem with Collins is the people she chose to kill. Basically, in short, all my favorite people. Cinna (we all secretly hoped he was alive). Finnick (whom I grew very fond of in this book). And worst of all (you know whom I'm going to say), Prim. Unfortunately I was in the middle of class when I read this part, so I couldnt bawl my eyes out like I wanted to. Prim, the one name I've always been happy to see on a page, was dead. I understand the purpose, emotional impact, but that doesn't make me any less frustrated or horrified. I truly wish she could have picked another character to emotionally impact me. Perhaps Haymitch, whom I love, but could perhaps pick up the book again knowing what I know.

In short, Mockingjay was a disappointment. But I still recommend it. Why? Because it is part of the Hunger Games, and the Hunger Games deserves to be read through.

The Mockingjay, I suppose, must be freed.


Recommended to: Anyone who read the first two...

1 comment:

gothiclolitamaiden said...

I totally agree. I'll rant with you on Monday in AM.