Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Chosen

The Chosen


By: Chaim Potok
Reviewed by: Cindy, 16
Rating: It was amazing!


In the years before the horrors or World War II are revealed, two boys are brought together through a game of softball on the streets of Brooklyn, New York. Told through the eyes of Reuven Malter, the son of an Modern Orthodox Jew, The Chosen is a story of finding friendship despite the division of religion.

Truth be told, I didn't think I would like this book very much. I know next to nothing about the Jewish religion and don't read as many classics as I should. Yet, this book truly wowed me with simple but wonderful surprises.

First are the characters. Reuven is a simple boy. He's nice and bright and, overall, just extremely likable. Danny, a complete foil, is complex. His love of Freud's philosophy and ability to memorize pages of the Torah, the Jewish book of law and tradition, make him interesting. The relationship between these two is played out smoothly and believably. There are also moments in the latter half of the book that are incredibly sweet and sad, all at the same time. I thoroughly love books about true friendship.

Another great thing I enjoyed is that I never felt all that lost when they spoke about religion. I even found learning about it really fun. It's more like, the characters enjoyed it so I did too. It's nice to see two young people actually practice their religion on a daily basis and the story never felt heavy or preachy.

One of the major ideas of the book is the relationship between both the boys and their fathers. Reuven is close to his and talks with him everyday. Danny on the other hand, only speaks to his father about religious matters concerning their Zionist sect. This becomes very important at the end of the book and, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful scenes regarding family that I have ever read.

Overall, I found The Chosen to be a wonderful example of simple and emotional storytelling.


Recommended to: Anyone

No comments: