Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games


By: Suzanne Collins
Reviewed by: gothiclolitamaiden, 16
Rating: It was amazing!


I read Hunger Games because I wanted to see what all of the hype was about, but I have to say, Hunger Games is possibly one of the best books I have read this year so far (not that I’ve had much time to read), and unlike many of the hyped books I’ve read out of curiosity, I’m glad I read this one.

The idea of a brutal contest where ordinary teens are forced to fight to the death is shocking, disturbing, and intriguing. As I read, I couldn’t help but imagine myself in the same situation, with a choice between committing murder and living. Needless to say, I had a couple of nightmares about it. The scariest part? If you look close enough, you can see the roots of the future society portrayed in the book in our own flawed society. As the world grows increasingly crowded, the gaps between the haves and the have-nots grow wider, and the frivolity of the wealthy Capital dwellers brings to mind the irresponsibility of big business executives.

The book works better as a dystopian sci-fi thriller than as a romance, which is only partially a matter of taste. The romantic elements make the story seem a bit too well-tailored to teenaged readers, out of place beside the darker subject matter.

The characters, though some aren’t alive or present long enough to make a lasting impression, are very human and believable, with both good and bad qualities. Rue’s death had the same effect on me as Dumbledore’s in the sixth Harry Potter book, though her appearances were far fewer. The author has the uncommon ability to touch the readers’ heart, even if the writing isn’t perfect. The lead, Katniss, is strong, sensible, but naïve about certain things, like relationships, in a nearly exasperating way.

The plot moves at a break-neck pace, at times I couldn’t put the book down. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys sci-fi, action or romance.


Recommended to: Anyone who likes sci-fi, action or romance. Teens and adults, for some pretty graphic violence.

No comments: