Friday, June 26, 2009

Because I Am Furniture

Because I Am Furniture


By: Thalia Chaltas
Reviewed by: Lynna, 17
Rating: It was alright...


The writing style itself wasn't as impressive as the voice behind it, and the background of the novel was even much more engaging. I wasn't expecting the whole story to be in the form of a poetic-like prose, but that's what it exactly was. Reading the summary was what really drawn me into checking out the book, but that was pretty much the best thing of the whole book - the summary, the story behind it.

It's a sad story, realistic or not (but I'm guessing it is from how the writer wrote it), about an extremely abusive father who abuses pretty much her whole family except the narrator. The narrator was inclined to keep the secret, and she was a very private person until she joined Volleyball. Then that's when she realized to voice her inner self and thoughts; the voice she can use to fight back the father who used to be very loving and fatherly to her and her family...

The story itself was good, but not necessarily OMG-AWESOME!-GOTTA-KEEP-READING-THIS good... Haha, but it's good if you're bored. It was like fluff reading to me, though; to be honest, I actually skipped some lines that talked about stuff that wasn't even relatively important to the point of the story (maybe that's why it was such a fast read for me :P). I bet it was an intense experience for the girl, however, and you'd really have to feel bad for her...


Recommended to:Teens 16+

No comments: