Friday, April 3, 2009

Sister Wife

Sister Wife


By: Shelley Hrdlitschka
Reviewed by: Lynna, 17
Rating: Really liked it


All I can say is HOLY COW...!

This is quite a novel... I couldn't put it down, and if I did, I would hurry to do whatever mishap I had to do so I can get right back to the book. It was like a rollercoaster ride through the point of views of three main characters, each with TOTALLY different perspectives, voices, and opinions. And it revolves around Unity, aka a small community of the beliefs of polygamy, aka multiple WAY younger wives assigned to one really old husband to make lots of kids, aka future people of Unity... and the cycle goes on. But this novel has much more in stored than you can imagine. It was very written. Kudos to Hrdlitschka (and kudos for me in remembering how to spell her last name without looking.)

Alright so here's 1/3 of the scoop: A girl named Celeste hates Unity but she doesn't want to disgrace her family in questioning the beliefs of Unity. To get to eternal kingdom, she must let the Community's Prophet assign her to a much older guy to get married to and she has to live with him and his wives for eternity. I was on Celeste's side throughout the whole book until the end in which she stupidly let the prophet assign her to her lover's father... and well, this story was really good!!! Read more, you'll get into it.

It's crazy how there's more to this world than we'd ever know. There are so many other people out there believing in things we may find absolutely absurd and delusional but they find completely right. Faith is quite a complicated subject... :P Ah well, so I was a little disappointed in the end but things work out and reality really hits you hard when you read this book.


Recommended to: Anyone and Everyone

2 comments:

Connie said...

Since you liked this book you have to read The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams. I just finished it last night and it's another nail biter. The Chosen One is more violent but has basically the same story.

P.S. Great review!

Lynna said...

Thanks, and I'll definitely check it out sometime! :)