Thursday, April 2, 2009

Marked

Marked


By: P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast
Reviewed by: Janette, 15
Rating: It was alright...


Marked, not your typical vampyre novel that follows the character of Zoey Redbird and the world that she lives in. In this world, vampyres have always existed, and one has to be "marked" and go through certain growing phases before turning into a fully fledged vampyre. These vampyres worship their goddess Nyx, and high beings in the society are given much respect because of their special affinity for certain unusual powers. Zoey REdbird becomes "marked" and comes to the House of Night, a school for vampyres. There she meets new friends, new teachers, new enemies, and even discovers unknown powers within her powers that make her special.

***Review***
I read this book, believing that it was well written and make my heart pound because of the suspense. It didn't. I admit, it was moderately well written, but it wasn't the GREATEST novel ever. Even Twilight made my heart pound with suspense a little bit, but my heart was silent for this book. I took me a while to finish the whole book. In the beginning, I thought it was taking too long for the story to get started. Once it did get started, it took to long for the climax to finally come around. The word choice wasn't diverse as I thought it would be, and the imagery was low. The character, Zoey Redbird, seems to me, to be very "mary-sue" with her affinity for the 5 elements, the knack for controlling them, and her over friendliness. The character of Aphrodite, seemed to symbolize the typical villain, mean, bitchy, a slut, and overall, a bully. That's how villains were in previous eras of literature, but nowadays, villains have takena turn and become very complex. The characters in this book were not. Overall, this book is moderately well written, but it lacks the fire which great novels have. The characters were general, the plot didn't seem complex either, and I seemed very disappointed in this book. Though I admit this book has it charms for the avid Twilight fan, and those who are very much into vampires, I still would give this book a grade of a C.



Recommended to: Anyone who is a Twilight Fan

1 comment:

gothiclolitamaiden said...

I agree with you, Zoey is a mary-sue with her five element powers. I also agree that Aphrodite is not a very good villain, and I think I touched on that in my review of Marked....