Wednesday, April 1, 2009

How They Met

How They Met


By: David Levithan
Reviewed by: Cindy, 14
Rating: Really liked it


A collection of stories written over the years, How They Met is full of sweet and awkward moments. Each story is told with a different tone and style. Some clumsy and funny while others are somber and serious. Each invokes a different emotion but there is an overall underlying feeling.

Basically, its a bunch of romance stories and I like it. Which is very rare, since I'm no big romance fan.

What really drew me in is that these stories, no matter how short, had a certain depth about them. Of course, some were better than others. Plus, he had matchmakers. I've always had a soft spot for matchmakers. No matter what he wrote, I always had a reaction.

The biggest plus for this book in my opinion was the fact that he wrote about love regardless of gender. The purpose of these stories was love and he stayed absolutely true to that. Actually, not "love" exactly. It didn't have to be "love". The concept of "like" and "infatuation" were there but I guess that's part of the package. I think this portion would make more sense if you read the book...

Lastly, David Levithan can write! I mean, his style constantly changed with the tone and that can be pretty hard. One story was a mixture of lyrics and narration and I seriously felt like a musician wrote it.

To sum it all up, I thought it was a great read and hope romance fans share my feelings.


Recommended to: Romance fans. 15+ Mentions of sex.

1 comment:

Tracy L. said...

You told me that my reviews weren't really like reviews, so I decided to read yours. And I now know what you were talking about. I will try to make my reviews more like reviews and not give away any information about the book.

Thanks.