Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Bluest Eye

The Bluest Eye


By: Toni Morrison
Reviewed by: Catherine, 16
Rating: Really liked it


"The Bluest Eye" is Toni Morrison's first novel and it was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. Morrison depicts the story of a little eleven-year old black girl named Pecola Breedlove living in the prejudiced town of Lorain, Ohio in the 1940s. Pecola prays for blue eyes so she will become beautiful in the eye's of society like the blong, blue-eyed white children. Devastation and pain continually follow Pecola and her life takes on an even more distressing tone (I know that seems a little ambiguous but I don't want to give too much away).

This novel was an extremely powerful, yet troubling piece of literature. It is a story of fear, loneliness, and misery, but as the reader, I came away feeling empowered. Morrison's prosaic narraration is exposed and raw and provokes so much emotion (be prepared to cry your eyes out). She switches points of views to provide all sides of the sotry which ultimately offers essential lessons to the reader. It was a difficult read, due to the distressing content, but it captivated my attention in addition to leading me to think differently of the world around me.

While I do believe "The Bluest Eye" is a compelling and significant work of literature, I would not reccomend this book to just anyone. This is a very heavy read and is full of disturbing and upsetting material which requires substantial maturity. However, I think the message of the story is very redeeming and I encourage everyone to attempt to read this award-winning novel.


Recommended to: serious readers

No comments: