Friday, April 10, 2009

Living Up the Street

Living Up the Street


By: Gary Soto
Reviewed by: Catherine, 16
Rating: It was alright...


Fresno's own Gary Soto describes his childhood through brief, quirky memories. Whether he's revealing how he entered his brother in a beauty contest as a child or describing his experiences as a cotton picker in his teenage years, Gary Soto manages to be funny and prosaic at the same time. Soto conveys to the reader, his fear of continuing the impoverished cycle of his Mexican ancestors.

While the stories are somewhat entertaining, I did not find the book that interesting. Being Mexican myself in addition to growing up in Fresno, CA, I can really relate to Gary Soto and I appreciate the values and lessons he imparts on the reader. However, this book just didn't captivate my attention, and it frankly concluded with an unsatisfactory ending. On the other hand, I know a few people who really enjoyed everything about this book, so it really depends on the reader!


Recommended to: ages 11 and up

No comments: