Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Elsewhere

Elsewhwere


Reviewed By: Avery W.
By: Gabrielle Zevin
Rating: It was alright!

After she is hit by a car while riding her bicycle and killed, Liz finds out what exactly comes after death. 'Elsewhere' provided a unique insight into one of many possibilities as to what happens to us when we die. It was a really fascinating book, and it made me want to live life in a fuller way when I was done. However, there were a few things in the plot and writing style that I didn't like, such as the fact that the author seems to be trying just a bit too hard to be humorous. Sometimes it worked in a really bizarre way, but most of the time it just turned out weirdly. Also, there were several things I thought would be important later, but they randomly disappeared and left me a bit confused. On the other hand, when it came to people, Zevin just couldn't seem to let a character go. She kept on bringing people (and animals) we had glimpsed back into the story later, which made the overall character cast seem sort of repetitive. And don't even get me started on the whole Owen/Liz thing. Don't get me wrong, I really did like 'Elsewhere', but a bit more time spent editing it would have turned it into a "Really liked it" book instead of just an "It was alright..." one.


I would recommend this to: Pretty much anyone



No comments: