Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cat's Cradle

Cat's Cradle

By: Kurt Vonnegut

Reviewed by: Han Wang, age 16

Rating: Really liked it!

Meet Dr. Felix Hoenikker, a misdiagnosed idiot savant. Meet Hoenikker's equally misunderstood offspring; they helped bring out the end of days! In Vonnegut's alternative account of the dawn of the Nuclear Age, science represents chaotic, dangerously merciless truth while religion nurtures lies to those incapable of pursuing happiness.

Most of the book went over my head, but I played along. I allowed my mind to be tangled by Vonnegut's deeply confusing, yet entrancing breed of satire so that I would eventually reach the end of the book and be done with it.

The pages flew by. I do not know what kind of literary magic the author casts, but his decision to divide the book into many chapters had a therapeutic effect on me.

By the time I finished the book, I still couldn't figure out whether the book added to one's pessimistic view of the world or simply sold itself as a silly, somewhat serious wake-up call.

One reader, assuming the latter, scribbled a message to future readers on the back of the book I currently owned: "We've got to get it together."




I would recommend this to: People who like science fiction bundled with philosophy

What library do you go to?: Woodward Park

No comments: