Monday, October 25, 2010

Empire of Night

Empire of Night


By: Justin Somper
Reviewed by: Lizzie, 18
Rating: Really liked it


Empire Night is the 5th book in the Vampirate Series. It follows Connor and Grace's conflict between their bloodline, and what they thought they stood for.

Oh wow, I thought I was completly done with this series (considering I couldn't stand Grace anymore, I decided to call it quits). But I saw the book at the library, shinning with hope. So I checked it out, and I wasn't totally disappointed. Let's see why. So Connor and Grace found out in the other book that they are related to Sidorio. So now Sidorio is planning to over the high seas, with his group of dangerous vampires. It's a war right now, between good and evil. They are sent on a mission to join their father (as spies, to gather info), but are quickly drawn into the group of vampirates.

Woah, just wow. I couldn't put the book down, it got interesting. What you will find here, is new friends and enemies. Some of the characters (Lorcan Furey, Darcy, etc) mature more in their characters, and a lot of questions are being asked. Yes indeed folks, Grace still annoys me. Like I said before, Connor to me, seems more of a sensible character. Grace is like the "sensless female" in the story, in my opinion. It's so typical, to be honest. Though she is slightly different in this book, but you will find that she too has a dark side. You know, Connor's life is more real and more interesting than Grace's. 'Surprise' is the word that comes into my into my mind, when describing this book. A lot of twist and turns, the author does a good job laying out the plot and character developments through out the story. Props to the author who made soome action female(s) in this story.

Though....I do have a problem with the ages of Lorcan (though he is no Edward Cullen, thank goodness!) and Grace. He is 17 ( he's like a 100 years old or something), and Grace is 14 in this book. It's just ODD, she is still young and naiive for calling out loud! Let's take for example, Connor. He is in love with Jasmine, who is around his age. I just don't get why it's this pattern of > Young girl falls in love with vampire > he's older than her > it's a love story. Eh well true, compared to other books, she is much younger than most female-in-love-with-vampire character(s). It's off really.

On a fun note, their is a new ally, who is a mermaid. Pretty neat, huh? SO many twist and turns, especially Sidorio's wife and her new 'baby'. Romance is in the air, and a lot of relationships are on the line. What does that mean for the tempest twins and their friends? Well I can't wait to find out.


Recommended to: Those who love pirates, vampires, action, romance, etc.

No comments: