Monday, December 20, 2010

The Last Days

The Last Days


By: Scott Westerfeld
Reviewed by: Kait, 16
Rating: It was amazing!


Bahaha the promised sequel review! I'm feeling rather successful - this is my third review tonight. But, it must be done so that you all can learn of the fabulosity of these books. I'm doing it for your own good. Because I care. I'm such a giver. Sniffle.

So here we go.

"The Last Days" isn't AS GOOD as "Peeps",but, that's like saying "The Chamber of Secrets" isn't AS GOOD as "The Sorceror's Stone." It's still pretty dang good.

I think part of me was just diappointed that Cal and Lace are hardly in the novel at all, but don't get all teary-eyed on me yet! Moz, Zahler, Pearl, and Minerva are ridiculously epic. (As is Westerfield's choice of names. So cool. So random.) The plot development is definitely there, characters are well-rounded, and the "Peeps" quality is still there.

Oh, I should probably get to the typical Scott Westerfield "crux."

It's about bands. And I don't mean froo-froo Relient K-Coldplay-Train commercial bands. It's about indy bands. No money, no fame, no glamour. But epic musical imagery. There is a quote by Elvis Costello that goes, "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture - it's a really stupid thing to want to do." Normally I whole-heartedly agree (especially when it acts as justification for procrastinating on some essay) but somehow Westerfield pulls it off.

I'm pretty sure his musical background is slim to none, but the way he describes dissecting chords, building harmonies, layering musical textures....for someone who actually knows about music, especially music theory, it clicks.

Plus he drags it into the vampire and (spoiler alert) giant freakish worm thing and it ends up being WAY COOL.

So please read it :) (or else)

Peace Kids


Recommended to: Over 16

No comments: