Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Catching Fire

Catching Fire


By: Suzanne Collins
Reviewed by: Kait, 16
Rating: It was alright...


Yeah Suzanne, you beat the dead horse on this one. I didn't really think that was possible after a single novel, but congratulations! You did it! You single-handedly ruined a good series!

We have all seen that Hunger Games, while not my favorite, did have merit. And yeah, I liked it! So I'm going to keep this review short and sweet, like Catching Fire should have been.

But really?


[SPOILER ALERT!!!]


I'm sorry, but sending Katniss and Peeta BACK into the arena? Yeah, no. I'm not buying it. Especially with how poorly established the actual Third Quarter Quell was. It's a clock. Yippee. She only bothered to established character for Finnick and then created literary mannequins for the other competitors. Can we please have some motive? Goals? Desires? Needs? Anything? Even their APPEARANCE would be nice.

Collins spent so much time on the lead-up that she put NO effort forth for anything else.

And the end was about ten times too convenient. And I HATE convenient endings. Something a little more creative, please?

If you loved The Hunger Games, go ahead with Catching Fire. If you had the same reaction as I did, don't. You'll be disappointed, bored, and irritated with yourself for wasting the money.


Recommended to: 15 and Up with patience

2 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I agree so much. This is the worst book in the series by far. The love triangle takes over the first half of the book, which is boring because nothing really happens, and it only starts getting interesting in the second half.

Kait said...

And even then it's a half-hearted attempt at action. I wish I had just stopped after the first one.