Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cinderella

Cinderella


Directed By: Clyde Geronomi
Reviewed by: Lizzie, 18
Rating: Hated it!


Cinderella is about a young woman who is a servant because of her stepmother. She falls in love with a Prince.

Today I am going to talk about Disney's Cinderella, and let me say, it isn't pretty. I used to like Disney movies before, but I wasn't a huge fan presay. I found things that were off in Disney movies. But obviously I couldn't elaborate about it, I was only a kid. But now that I have formed my ideas, I see the problems with this movie. Let's start, shall we?

In the beginining we see the start of Cinderella's life. Her father passed away, so she was left in the hands of her evil stepmother. Want to know a well known cliche that is used in practically almost all disney movies? Jealousy. Over what exactly? The stepmother and stepdaughters hate Cinderella because of her 'beauty'. Seriously, this is very pathetic. What is this telling girls? That other woman will be hateful because of 'beauty'? Is this a realistic motive? Disney should have just stuck with the fact that the stepmother is plain evil, not so much driven by jealousy. I dunno.

Anyway Cinderella is considered the "Princess of hope". Hmm okay so she is abused and not happy with her life, though she stays optimistic. Aka waiting for her Prince to come. So there lays the problems. She is considered a hard worker, and yet she is there, waiting for a unknown prince to save her? What does this say? To wait for a man to save you? She could have left the house and make her own life, away from the evil stepmother. Indeed this IS a disney movie, a fictional story, right? But our girls of this generation look at that, and could possibly see that as reality. Believe me, such cases are true. Cinderella is not "so bright" if all her dreams lies within a Prince.

Secondly, the ball part. This scene in the movie disturbs me. So here is where I question Cinderella - She is risking herself getting into trouble, to go to some measly ball....knowing she can get into trouble. So why doesn't she do that for herself? In the fact that she could have left the stepmother along time ago? Hmm mmm. Anyhow, when Cinderella arrives to the ball, the Prince suddenly, drastically, changes his attitude. Before she came, he was bored. He didn't care for the ball. Want to know why he suddenly had a change of heart? It was her beauty. Maybe, just maybe - that isn't the center issue. May I point out that supposedly they fell in love during the dancing for only what? Two hours, or three? Exactly. They didn't know eachother enough to say it was actual true love. The prince didn't go out and look for her when she left her little glass slipper, just because she was a humble, hard working, and king young woman. Note the sarcasm.

Indeed this movie has flaws, that I can't help but question. What kind of message is this? I wouldn't want my sisters or daughters looking up to Cinderella. It's okay that we view this movie as entertainment. As it is, their is no such thing as Spider Man, no? It's okay to let our imagination fly. Only to a certain extent. Basically, Disney is selling a stereotypical cliche of what woman are seen to be, then what they could be.

Also I just wanted to say, her little friends are more interesting than Cinderella herself. I laugh when I saw those little mouses. The songs are cheesy; I didn't like them. I'm sticking with Pocahontas and Mulan.


Recommended to: Disney fans

No comments: