Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle


By: Diana Wynne Jones
Reviewed by: Alucard, 4squared
Rating: It was amazing!


The truth is. I have yet to read the actual book. But I have seen this film. The film, Howl's Moving Castle, was directed by Studio Ghibli's legendary Hayao Miyazaki and produced by Toshio Suzuki. Howl's Moving Castle is a book and also an animated film.

It is about a girl, Sophie, who meets a wizard, Howl. Because of her encounter with Howl, the Witch of the Waste-jealous- casts a spell on Sophie which turns her into an old lady. Sophie's spell won't let her tell anyone about it, and even the Witch does not know how to break it. From there, Sophie travels to the Waste to find a way to break her spell. On a hill in the Waste, Sophie finds a stick in a nearby bush, thinking it would be a good cane to use. However, when she takes it out, it turns out to be a scarecrow, which she calls Mr.Turniphead. Later she asks Turniphead to find a place for her to stay. Ironically, Howl's Moving Castle appears, and thus the story and characters grow.

Howl's Moving Castle is a wonderful film...and I, personally, think that it is so romantic. It is an eye-opener.


Recommended to: people who love something as glorious as the Olympics

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this movie so much, I think I've seen it 10 times in the last two years. I finally had to buy my own copy. It's become a comforting thing to put on in the background while I'm cleaning the living room or when I'm alone in the house and want to feel like I'm not.

P.S. Someone just explained to me that Alucard is Dracula backwards and I pretty much feel like a dork now. So, there you go.

Anonymous said...

The book and the movie are really different, but both are good. Miyazaki does the movie in his own way, complete with environmental and anti-war themes, while Diana Wynne Jones does it in her own whimsical way. I have to get a copy for myself, I've only seen the movie on Cartoon Network. At least the dub was good....