Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Skin I'm In

The Skin I'm In


By: Sharon G. Flake
Reviewed by: Teralyn E., 14
Rating: Really liked it


I believe I've done a review on another Sharon Flake book, a grouping of short stories about girls and the boys they liked.

This book was very similar, about a young African-American girl who didn't quite know who she was. But her issue was the tone of her skin. She was dark, and people teased her about it.

The story was good, it wasn't stereotypical, wasn't overly-dramatic, and wasn't overly-raw. It was really a good read, and I enjoyed it a lot.

While there was some violence (high-school type fights) and a lot of attitude/wrongdoing, these action were made clear to be wrong. There was no swearing, even from the bullies!

The story had a positive message: Love the skin you're in.


Recommended to: Girls, 12+

No comments: