Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Twilight

Twilight


By: Stephenie Meyer
Reviewed by: Lizzie, 17
Rating: Hated it!


Twilight is basically about a girl who falls in love with a vampire, and how they go through certian obstacles to be together.

I dislike Twilight. The reason for my negative opinion of the Twilight book is mainly the underdeveloped characters. They're just too perfect and I can't relate to them. Edward of course is flawless so he doesn't need to develop at all. This irritates me because I enjoy reading about a character who grows and learns. Edward doesn't develop as a character. To me, he is just a blatant Gary-Stu. Bella is the same way. She is meant to have "flaws" when those flaws (clumsiness, modesty) can't be considered character flaws at all really. And, like Edward, she doesn't develop. And, she is just so annoying. She is a whinny damsel in distress who can't live without a man.

In New Moon I was hoping to see a stronger Bella but I was greatly disappointed. One other thing that I dislike about the series is the lack of any moral or theme. After reading Eclipse I assumed that the books were about sacrificing for your loved ones, but Breaking Dawn proved me wrong; Bella sacrifices....nothing. Nothing at all. She gets everything, literally everything that she wants. She turns into a beautiful vampire, she maintains a relationship with Jacob and her family, she has no weaknesses (weaknesses that someone in her situation would normally have) and she gets a great superpower, and she even gets the perfect child to add to the giant heap of perfect characters.


Recommended to: No one

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot agree with you more. You have said it all. What kind of book has no character development? What kind of book starts out with all the characters being perfect? And Bella annoys me too. She is so the damsel in distress, and yet everyone loves her FOR NO APPARENT REASON! And what is up with New Moon? Is the message of the story to try and kill yourself if a guy breaks up with you?

Anonymous said...

Well... some people enjoy these types of story to get out of their less-perfect-lives. It's only a book, guys. Perfection can be written and dreamed off too, I don't see why people need to read a book and RELATE to the character to feel the book is good enough...

Lizzie said...

True, but thats how I FEEL about it. Now, overall...putting that a side, the book is not healthy for teenage girls. I wrote this review mostly like a comment back to all those girls who say they can relate to Bella. Yeah, having no life, maybe.

Unknown said...

I don't think that if you relate to Bella, it means you have no life. I agree with you on the fact that Bella comes off as a weak female and she really should have shown some backbone in New Moon when Edward left, but other than that I find it to be a good enough read. Honestly, it isn't sending you a message to kill yourself when a guy dumps you. You'd have to be extremely gullible to go and jump off a cliff just because some fictional character does it. It's called fiction everybody! meaning don't do it your self. just read and enjoy.

Anonymous said...

i was going 2 read the seres becuase the movies seemed really good and my friends were begging me to read it so i came accross this website for reviews and i saw yours about twilight and u just ruined the book because in a review you dont say EVERYTHING that happens and you did saying how she turns into a vampire and has a childand much more
i may as well not read it now because i came across a reveiw that said everything that happens in the book That is not what i reveiw is about.