Friday, December 11, 2009

To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird


By: Harper Lee
Reviewed by: Cindy, 15
Rating: It was amazing!


In the old Southern town of Maycomb, the Finches live comfortable lives during the Great Depression. Jem and Scout, the children of the family run around enjoying the freedom of summer when they can try to reveal the legendary Boo Radley. Yet, when their father, Atticus receives a case to defend a black man, they must pause in their fun and grow up.

I once again must criticize myself for judging a book by its cover and thank my high school for making me read it.

I don't tend to read many books like To Kill a Mockingbird [henceforth, to be referred to as Mockingbird]. The main reason being that I enjoy plots that gradually give us background story. Mockingbird spends a good part of the story just giving us a general view of the characters and the town. Mrs. Lee does this in a very relaxed way. She doesn't try to rush even though the book takes place over a long period of time and, somehow, she makes sure you never get bored of her characters.

Mockingbird is told through the eyes of Scout, formally known as Jean Louise, a young tom boyish girl who loves to read. She, like most young people, asks a lot of questions but they help clarify the story while adding a little more depth. She's realistic and can be quite a lovable character even if she is prone to violence. The whole cast is actually very easy to connect with. The development of the characters is natural and enjoyable.

The tension starts building about a third into the actual story. To fully understand Mockingbird, you have to put into consideration the biases of the time. There is also a certain way the characters speak that can confuse some if not read carefully.
The writing style is informal but corresponds well with how a little girl would think and I think that is one of my favorites things about this book. It doesn't feel cliché or hurried.

I will say that I absolutely loved the ending. Its absolutely heartwarming and I hope this classic is enjoyed for years to come.


Recommended to: 13+

No comments: