Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Breaking Dawn

Breaking Dawn


By: Stephenie Meyer
Reviewed by: gothiclolitamaiden, 15
Rating: Really liked it


Spoilers Ahead!

I thought that this was a pretty good way to end the series, though it almost feels like the book should have been two books instead. Like its predecessors, the writing flows very well. There were certain plot points that weren't as good. It was nice that Jacob got to narrate, but I felt that Renesmee was the author's way of appeasing the Jacob fans. A half-vampire child makes sense, but the author didn't have to make sure that all of the characters had a happy ending. I also think that Bella's willingness to leave her human family to be with her vampire boyfriend is just a little bit selfish on her part. The ending was a bit anticlimactic, but I guess that enormous battles as endings are somewhat used. Lastly, I think that teenage girls (most of them) don't understand what it is to be a mother, or to have such an intense love for a person. Since I haven't experienced these things, I had a hard time relating to Bella in this book. As long as Stephenie Meyer doesn't rant too much about how good looking the male characters in her next book are, I'll read it. (I heard it the second time.)

Recommended to: Teen girls mainly, though I think boys can enjoy it too. Some of the content isn't suitable for kids under high school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. The ending was all wrapped up just a little too neatly. I don't feel like anybody really grew or learned anything--you know? While I'm always a fan of diplomacy over violence, I have a really hard time buying the resolution to the vampire showdown at the end. Don't even get me started about Renesme. We must not speak of her.

Anonymous said...

Renesmee actually makes sense, just a little bit. The male vampire's body doesn't have to change, only the human female's does. Half-vampires aren't too uncommon in vampire books, though the way they're made differs in every series. Twilight isn't my favorite vampire series, but I don't hate it either. However, I cannot forgive Stephenie Meyer for taking away the fangs and adding weird sparklies.