Thursday, July 3, 2014

Summer Reading 2014: The Golden Compass

The Golden Compass


Reviewed By: Avery W.
By: Philip Pullman
Rating: It was Amazing!

I find it sad how much people belittle this book. Yes, it does have violence and some religious themes that may offend certain people, but is everybody not allowed to have their own ideas? Does everyone have to believe in what you believe in? Besides, any religious themes in "The Golden Compass" are subtle and aren't even stated in a confronting way. I found this book fascinating and beautifully written. The characters almost seemed alive and I found myself thinking about them long after I closed the book. I feel bad that Pullman wrote such a great book only for it to get criticized and beaten down. I'm not commanding you to change your opinion about this book, your religious values, or anything else. I'm not even telling you that you have to read this book. All I want to say is that people should at least give it and others like it a chance.

I would recommend this to: Fantasy fans age 13+ who are at least moderately open-minded.

No comments: