Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Plain Truth

Plain Truth


By: Jodi Picoult
Reviewed by: Kait, 14
Rating: Really liked it


Jodi Picoult's fairly old novel, "Plain Truth", is pretty much an identical twin to all of her previous work. Notwithstanding, the book managed to still be FAH-BYOU-LUSS.

Jodie Picoult's work is generally "consistent". Most of her novels follow the same flow/pattern and are centered around a major crime committed (usually murder, rape, infanticide, etc.) and the pursuant court case that follows. Families fall apart, people fall in and out of love, life is never the same, blah blah blah.

But, somehow, Picoult manages to keep the reader on the edge of his/her seat, chair, couch, sofa, bed, or whatever he/she happens to be resting their butt on at the time of reading. I, for one, am an avid fan and reader of her novels and have read a good number of her novels. Regardless of the fact that I know her flow and distinctive writing style, and I generally have SOME idea of what might happen, she still manages to shock me into cardiac arrest repeatedly. That's what I consider GREAT writing.

Most of the book's DISTINCTIVE plotline can be distinguished from the teaser on the back of the book. Katie Fischer (by the way, totally freaked me out that my nickname is Katie and this is about an infanticide. Oops! guess I just killed the suspense....sorry!) an Amish teenager in East Paradise, Pennsylvania, is accused of killing her newborn son when he is found dead in her family's barn. Admittedly, the original plotline is rather iffy, but the juicy stuff comes to follow. Katie (man that name wigs me out)has absolutely no memory of the pregnancy nor the birth of her son, therefore making a conviction all the more hard.

So I'm pretty sure I can't give away any of the TRULY Juicy-Coutoure juicy stuff (sorry, couldn't help the teen female reference. juicy juice would have been a much more acceptable analogy in MY opinion, but it didn't look esthetically pleasing, so I changed it. Also, apologies if I misspelled coutoure. Pretty sure it's right but sitll) but basically it's like reading a mature, adult, mildly realistic TABLOID. And I (regretably) do enjoy People Magazine at times, so the book is a perfect fit.

The book does hold for dear life to SOME realistic/mature merit. Not much, but it DOES teach about tolerance for other lifestyles, religions, etc. It's also a fabulous read over all. Read it! :]


Recommended to: Chicks age 15-old

No comments: