Monday, October 25, 2010

The Education of Bet

The Education of Bet


By: Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Reviewed by: Lizzie, 18
Rating: Really liked it


In ninteenth Century England, Elizabeth (known as 'Bet') can't help but feel anger in the world she lives in. Because of her gender, she is denied the education that she really desires. So just like the strong girl she is, she get's it. With unexpected events of course.

This book really spoke to me. I seriously LOVE these types of books, because I'm a feminist myself. Okay so anyway, I felt that this book has a good sense of style to it. Elizabeth is amusing, and she doesn't lose her "feminine" side (this is important to a lot of people, because some think being a feminist does the opposite. People vary.) What I mean by this, is that she doesn't do what she does, just for the sake of wanting to be a man. She want's the same opportunities that they have. She has a strong sense of self, and will do anything to get what she wants. Even if that means going as her best friend Will, to an other school. Yes you heard it, she goes under disguise as a male. It's humorous and I think the reader will find it easy to relate, and to really imagine being in her shoes.

She falls in love with her roomate, and I think it's amusing. You will see expected issues, like for example with what comes being a "female" each month. It's amazing how she doesn't give up, she is a fighter. It makes you appreciate that woman now can have that, and it rings as a inspirational story I believe. The question that comes up as you read this is- how much are you willing to go, to prove that a gender shouldn't be a barrier for one's intelligence?

Indeed, I would have liked a better ending. But all in all, it was a good read.


Recommended to: Anyone

No comments: